Learning for Life!
The West Memphis School District envisions students who are inspired to become life-long learners, prepared to succeed in post-secondary education and careers, by reaching their full potential as contributors within a global society.
The West Memphis School District is committed to educating all students to the highest standards of excellence by providing a rigorous and varied curriculum in a safe and respectful environment that will empower them to become productive citizens of a culturally diverse society.
- We believe in a strong, collaborative partnership among parents, school, and community.
- We believe all students need to acquire knowledge and skills needed for success in the real world.
- We believe each student, regardless of race, ethnicity, disabilities, gender, or socioeconomic background, has equal opportunities in all facets of the educational setting.
- We believe the curriculum should be data-driven, rigorous, and diversified in ways to challenge and engage each student to reach his or her full potential.
- We believe in supporting our faculty and staff’s ongoing, comprehensive professional development in their respective fields.
- We believe in utilizing advanced technology to enrich and inspire learning and teaching for all students and staff.
- We believe all students, staff, and community will be treated with dignity, tolerance, and respect to promote a safe and orderly environment for learning.
- We believe parents and guardians should be actively involved in the education of their children through programs provided by the district.
- To maintain a safe and respectful environment in well-maintained facilities.
- To meet and exceed the State’s minimum requirements for Annual Measurable Objectives.
- To actively engage all students in a rigorous and challenging curriculum.
- To access all available resources for continuous improvement.
EAST JR. HIGH
East Jr. High is located in the northeastern section of the city, at Barton and Goodwin Avenue. We are located directly across the Interstate (I 40 & 55) from Southland Greyhound Park. East is a neighborhood school that provides classes for students from Seventh through Ninth grade. Here at East Junior High, we believe in the success of our students and we strive to provide an education that not only enhances their academic abilities but also provide an opportunity for life skills and life lessons to be learned on a daily basis. Our goal is to make sure when our students leave our campus they are college and career ready. With servicing just over three hundred students, we are able to provide these things in a 10:1 ratio in our classes. Our faculty is all highly qualified and certified. We have several teachers on campus with advanced degrees and several who are in school now pursuing advanced degrees. Our student demographics are composed of 98% African American, 1% Caucasian and 1% other. We are a Title I school, serving 100% free or reduced lunch students. Our neighborhood school is the perfect location for our students to walk to and from and feel safe.
School Name: East Junior High ~ School Mascot: Red Imps
School Colors: Red, White, and Black
School Address: 1151 Goodwin Avenue West Memphis, AR 72301
School Phone: 870-735-2081
Principal: Arther Quarrels
Assistant Principal: Kissy A. Turner
Counselor: Dionne Harris